Eighth Grade Civics
8th Grade Civics Community Engagement Project
The 8th Grade Community Service project is a continuation and extension of the ideas and concepts that our students have been discussing throughout the semester. In lieu of a written final exam, all students will be given the opportunity to participate in a 6 hour Community Service program to contribute back to the community. Click here for the entire student packet for the project.
- Connect with the Charles F. Patton Middle School community.
- Connect with our greater Unionville-Chadds Ford schools community.
- Honor community service work done by students with their families and community groups.
Philosophy and Expectations
You don't have to be powerful to make a huge impact on your community. Community Service TEACHES and MODELS for our children what it means to be part of a community. Our community is the Unionville-Chadds Ford School District and the townships that encompass it. All Patton students can contribute their time and effort to better their community.
In the past, children have been assessed primarily through written examinations. We believe there is more power in DOING. When we give more of ourselves in the form of time, effort and talent, we create an opportunity to connect and interact with those we are helping, and can demonstrate their understanding of the concepts that they have learned through community interaction.
Every Civics student will have the opportunity to connect and feel ownership of their school through their service to the community as a whole. Upon completion of their volunteer hours, students will complete a one page write up summarizing their experiences and submit a work log.
Ideas for Service Activities
Listed below are examples of possible service activities. Activities are focused in a variety of areas:
- Helping younger students here at Patton (e.g. tutors/reading buddies)
- Making the school a better place for all (e.g. Patton Gardens, school cleanup)
- Scout projects
- Run for Our Sons participants
- Student Ambassadors
- Volunteering throughout the community
- See your teacher if you’re are unsure if your service work meets the criteria.
- In the event that participation in a Community Service Project is not possible, students will take a written final assessment on the materials covered in the Civics Course
A page has been created as a resource for 8th grade students looking for ways to accrue volunteer hours for their 8th grade Community Engagement Projects. Now that the project has officially started, in the event that you need some ideas as to where to begin, below is a link to Volunteer Opportunities. Feel free to share any ideas that you have with Mr. Eshleman, Mrs. Freehart, or Mr. Thomas and they will be glad to add them to this document for everyone to access.